Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Spit up and Acrylic

There is nothing in the world like being a working mom. C.S. Lewis once said "The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support the ultimate career."
For 12 years now I have had the ultimate career. I have loved being a homemaker. As a young girl I would occasionally entertain the idea of being a teacher or a veterinarian but I always came back to the idea that I wanted to be a mother. 
Since being married I have had jobs on the side like daycare or an occasional temp position but I have never had a career outside of "the ultimate career"...until now. What do nails and spit up have in common? Me, that's what. An average day around here is full of tears, laughter, macaroni and cheese, bottles and spit up on my newly washed work clothes. In addition to that you'll find acrylic fumes and a large amount of acrylic dust. This summer has proven to be very challenging but I have managed to bring in the clientele I was praying for. God has certainly been good to us. I often feel guilty when I tell people I'm a working mom. There is a stigma that seems to follow it and I'm ashamed to say that I used to fall into the habit of thinking what others think of me now. I used to wonder how in the world women could leave their children for a career that was far less meaningful than "the ultimate career." I have been taught a huge lesson in humility. I have spent days fighting with the children. Sometimes these days are so intense that I completely understand how some women choose to work outside of the home. Some people are better for it. I respect these women. My circumstances being what they are I have  not chosen to work but have had to work to keep a roof over our head. I am blessed to have a career that has allowed me to work from home but it adds so many challenges. This is where the spit up and acrylic nails collide. At the end of the day I have to laugh it off and thank The Lord for both!

No comments: