Monday, July 14, 2014

Why I Became a Nail Technician

Today was a different day. I usually get up, feed children and get ready to work.  Working from home has been quite a challenge this summer but we're surviving it and my amazing clients are so understanding. My first appointment didn't show and I was a little disappointed until I got a call from the sister missionaries.  I guess that word has traveled that I do free gel for the sisters.  It was meant to be only for the sisters in my area but it was so fun to have 4 sisters in my house and to get to know them.  It had been a hard day and that helped a lot.  This afternoon I had a new client and it was so nice to talk with her.  She too was a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and we had the opportunity to talk about things you don't normally talk about during a nail appointment.  It was just what I needed.  After she left I was tired but I kept myself going.  I cleaned up the house and harvested apricots in the front yard.  From there I went to the store and fixed dinner.  It is more than I have done in a month!  It felt so good to be MOM again.  I have struggled so much with being a working mom but today I finally felt like I can do it.  It felt so good to be everything to everyone today.  My schedule has been a little less busy this week and although it worries me a little it is giving me the opportunity to clean, organize and be the mom I want to be to my children.  When Matt had the stroke, I knew that things would never be the same.  It didn't dawn on me that I would have to work and help support the family as much as I do.  Months after the stroke when Matt had gone back to work I was trying to budget what little income we had.  I couldn't make it work and I was at a loss.  The kids were screaming, the house was a mess and I felt so alone.  It dawned on me that I should get on my knees and pray.  I couldn't find a quiet place in our crazy house so I secluded myself to the bathroom.  I was hoping the kids wouldn't come looking for me or pound on the door.  I needed to speak to my Father in Heaven.  I poured out my heart.  I laid everything on him.  I let him know how scared I was, how I didn't know if my husband was ever going to get better.  I was so afraid that he was going to die and I would be here with the children and no way to support them.  After a while I got the impression that education was the key.  I had been talking to Matt for years about how I would love to nails and the thought came to me that I should give it a try.  I never expected my Father in Heaven to be so specific but the minute I decided I was going to go to nail school I felt calm.  I talked that night with Matt and later that week with the bishop and it was reaffirmed to me that I should follow the promptings I was getting from the Lord.  It was then that a whole new chapter of my life started.  The rest of the story will be told another day.  This experience has taught me to go for it!  If it's hard and scary, hit it head on!  I am so thankful for the strength that this experience gave me.  I'm so thankful for a Savior that loves me enough to talk me into something as crazy as nail school.  He knew that it would be just what my family needed.

No comments: