Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Would You Like Flies With That?

Here in Pinal County (we don't actually live in a city because we are so far from civilization) we have what one would call a little bit of a fly problem. I had heard from a neighbor that it got bad as summer started but I had no comprehension of what "bad" really was until recently. We had a doggy door installed in the sliding glass door and the flies found this. One of them must have told all of their little fly friends and we ended up with two colonies of flies in our house. One colony resided in the kitchen window. I thought I was being sneaky when I hung a fly strip but due to natural selection the dumb ones got caught and the smart ones multiplied until it looked like this:



I wish you could have experienced the "live" version of this group of flies. It was a constant hum from behind the blinds. I finally decided that the fly strip just wasnt going to cut it and so I went to work tonight with a can of RAID and within seconds they were all dead. I never thought something like that could be so satisfying but it was. I now have literally hundreds of flies to vacuum up in the morning. Needless to say I un-installed the doggy door. I am told in a few weeks when the temperature hits 110 or so it will be too hot for flies and we won't have to worry about it anymore. I figure when it hits 110 the kids and I will melt and then we won't have to worry about much at all!

No comments: