Monday, November 15, 2010

Thank Goodness for Medicine, Herbs and Neighbors!

All in all today was a good day and I needed that so much! We spent the morning in the pediatricians office because Ivan has a bite on the back of his leg that has gotten infected. They started him on an antibiotic and made a big circle around the infected area. They told me to watch it throughout the day and if it passed that circle we needed to go to the hospital for some IV antibiotics. He went to school and his teacher kept and eye on it for me. When I went to pick him up she said it had spread and sure enough, it had. I gave him the first dose of his antibiotic and hoped it would not reach the outer limits of that dreaded circle. We played outside well into the evening and then came in for baths. When he got in the bath I noticed that the redness and swelling had reached the edge of the circle but not surpassed it. I figured it was time to head to the hospital. I called the pediatrician and he said to give him one more dose of the antibiotic tonight and watch it. I did that and watched as nothing happened and it stayed quite red and swollen. He began to complain that his leg hurt and so again I figured it was time to go to the hospital. I called the doctor again and he said it was up to me and then told us which hospital to go to if we went. I just kept going back and forth between whether or not to go. Poor Ivan has spent a lot of time in the hospital this year and I am more than tired of seeing the inside of emergency rooms. Because the doctor did not seem to concerned I decided that I would say a prayer and see if that helped my feeling one way or another. After praying I decided that we would try a few things at home. I called my Mother in law who is great with herbal remedies (she helped us with a few spider bites this last summer in Utah) and asked her what I needed to help this situation. She told me that I needed some Plantain. Right then I knew that I was in trouble because first of all I have never heard of the stuff and second I live in the middle of nowhere and Plantain is not something that you would find in abundance here. I decided to give it a shot and post on facebook that I was in need of Plantain and wouldn't you know it, a friend in the ward had some growing in her back yard! I was feeling better about my decision with each passing moment and small miracle. I brought some leaves home and made a salve for Ivan's leg and wrapped it. We had a friend come over and help Matt give him a priesthood blessing and now we are just letting the herbs, the antibiotics and the Lord do their work. I have a very good feeling that he will be much improved by morning and if not then I have no issue taking him to the hospital then. We will see what happens. I am thankful for the diverse relationships I have. I am thankful to be a part of a community and a religion where we can rely on one another for something as simple as Plantain and something as big as cleaning each other's houses. I miss home but I feel the roots here growing stronger and I am so thankful to the Lord for making me feel accepted, and less lonely here. All in all, today was a good and productive day.

No comments: